In this article, we would like to discuss the world’s leading gold mining companies. The more you know about where your gold comes from the more informed of a decision you can make with regard to a proper investment in this precious metal.
- Newmont Goldcorp is the first gold mining company we will discuss. This company is located in the United States and in the state of Colorado. It has been established more than 100 years ago, in 1921. Even though its headquarters are located in the above mentioned state, Newmont has several gold mines in different countries around the world, including Ghana, Australia, Canada, and in some South American countries. It is worth mentioning that Newmont is the only gold company in the world that has been listed on S&P 500.
- Barrick Gold. Standing on the second place is of course Barrick Gold company. Barrick is actually in the neighboring country of Newmont, in Canada. And similarly, aside from the HQ of the company, it does have numerous mines around the world, in Asia, Africa, and of course South America. Barrick Gold has an annual revenue of about 12 billion dollars.
- AngloGold Ashanti holds the third place in our list of top gold mining companies in the world. As perhaps the name suggests, this gold company is the result of a merger between two other gold companies in 2004. With a market cap of about 9 billion dollars, AngloGold Ashanti produces about 2.5 million ounces of gold annually.
- Kinross Gold also operates out of Canada and is considered one of the biggest producers of gold and silver. Kinross was established back in 1993. Much like other gold mining companies, Kinross has mines in other places and other continents. One interesting point about Kinross is that it has been listed on several stock markets, including of course the big one, New York Stock Exchange. Kinross Gold has an annual income of about 3.3 billion dollars.
- Freeport-McMoRan. Next in line is the Freeport-McMoRan gold company which is headquartered in the state of Arizona, United States. Other than gold, Freeport-McMoRan is also regarded as one of the largest producers of copper. This company was founded in the year 1981 and operates various mines. This gold company has an annual income of more than 22 billion dollars, and the total assets under its management and ownership mount to a little over 48 billion dollars.
- Goldcorp is another gold mining company that is located in the large country of Canada in the province of British Columbia. This company employs more than 15 thousand employees, and a unique fact about Goldcorp is that all its mines are located in the great continent of the America, both North and of course South America. Goldcorp is actually one of the younger gold mining companies, since it was founded only in 1994. There is a criticism that is levied against this company and it is related to some of the operations of the company being harmful to the environment and similar types of environmental damages, though none have been proven.
- Gold Fields. All the gold mining companies we have discussed so far have been located in the continent of North America, but now it is Africa’s turn. Gold Fields’ main office is situated in the capital city of South Africa, in Johannesburg. Also being a rather young mining company, the founding date goes back to the year 1998. Additionally, Gold Fields is listed on the South African and also the New York stock markets.
- Randgold Resources. And of course the last on our list is the Randgold company, which has also gone off the beaten path among most of the gold companies and has its main offices in the beautiful island country of Jersey Channel Islands. This gold mining company was also founded in the 90s, in the year 1995 to be exact. However, it is interesting to mention that in 2018, Randgold Resources became officially part of a merger with the larger gold company Barrick Gold, which we discussed earlier on this list.